Friday, October 18, 2019

Latest work: "Kimono Package Montage 08"


LATEST WORK - “Kimono Package Montage 8”

One of the latest in my series revolving around an antique kimono “packet,” which I’ve described as:

I have an 1828 wrapper for a kimono that is gloriously soft and weathered and yet sturdy. I have photographed various bits and pieces of the wrapper and then have combined those bits and pieces to create a variety of photomontages, montages that are slightly different, yet honor the spirit of the object. 

It’s made of old, used “boro paper,” multiple layers pasted together so that it’s thick and very soft. I’m reveling in what this kimono wrapping paper is offering, and I hope you enjoy seeing my interpretations of it.

Every month or so I get this packet out to see what other images I can create using it, seeing it with “new eyes.” 

The top photo shows the original version, but I also created a square version to give my customers more options.

Here's the link to the work in Fine Art America if you'd like to see it at 100% resolution: 

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/kimono-package-montage-08-carol-leigh.html

All images copyright ©2019 Carol Leigh